Perfect American Pancakes and Five Topping Ideas with a Twist
To celebrate Pancake Day this year we’ll be rustling up a giant stack of fluffy American style pancakes using the Total Control Stand Mixer. If you want a more traditional treat, we’ve got you covered with our recipe for pancakes topped with blueberries and maple syrup. But if you want to be a little bit braver this year, we’ve got also got five ideas for alternative topping combinations that shouldn’t work, but somehow totally do!
American Pancakes Recipe
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 225g plain flour
• Pinch of salt
• 1 tsp white sugar
• 2 large eggs (beaten)
• 30g butter (melted and cooled)
• 300 ml milk
• Butter for frying
• Blueberries and maple syrup for topping
- Simply add all of the ingredients into the Total Control Stand Mixer and mix until on speed 4 for 1.5 to 2 minutes, or until you’ve got a smooth batter.
- Once the batter is mixed, transfer to a jug so it’s easier to pour into the pan.
- Heat up a smooth, heavy based pan and add a small knob of butter before pouring in enough batter for one pancake at a time.
- Remember to wait until the upper side of the pancake is bubbling before flipping onto the other side, which should take about 1 minute.
- Repeat until you’ve used up all the batter.
Top tip: Keep the pancakes you’ve made under the grill or in the oven on a low heat to keep them warm while you finish the batch. That way they’ll still all be warm when you assemble them into one giant stack!
Our Top Five Alternative Topping Combinations
Once you’ve got your stack ready and assembled, either top them with blueberries and warm maple syrup, or if you’re fancy something a little bit different, give one of these more unusual combinations a go.
- Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar
It sounds peculiar, but the sweet undertones of the balsamic vinegar bring out the sharpness in the strawberries for a delightful combination. Try chopping the strawberries in half, then drizzling on a splash of your finest balsamic vinegar dressing.
- Chocolate and Chilli
If you’ve ever tried chilli chocolate brownies you’ll know that this combination is a little bit weird but a lot wonderful. Try melting chocolate onto the pancakes and adding a few gratings of fresh red chilli for pancakes with a bit of a kick!
- Banana and Bacon
Bacon and pancakes is an American breakfast staple, but when you add bananas into the mix it takes it to a whole new level (and totally makes them count towards one of your five a day!) Add chopped banana slices and crispy bacon rashers to your pancake stack and finish with a glug of maple syrup.
- Dark Chocolate and Parmesan
There’s something magical in the combination of salty and sweet flavours, which makes this seemingly strange pairing a match made in pancake heaven. Top your pancakes with melted dark chocolate and a light shaving of parmesan for an unusual twist you’ll love.
- Raspberries and Peanut Butter
These two flavours come together for the classic American peanut butter and jelly sandwich, so there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be paired up on pancakes. Try smoothing peanut butter in between each pancake as you assemble your stack, then serve with raspberries scattered all over.
Let us know which topping combinations you’ll be trying on our Facebook page – we love hearing all about your creations! You can find more great recipes to make with the Total Control Stand Mixer on the Cook & Create App, available to download on iTunes and Google Play.