Cold and wet weather means it’s the perfect time of year to enjoy hearty soup. To help you keep warm this winter we’re bringing you three delicious recipes to transform classic ingredients into tasty soups you’ll love, including two recipes from the Morphy Richards Cook & Create App
. Winter Vegetable Soup
Based on our Basic Vegetables Soup recipe from the Cook & Create App
this soup can be adapted to use all your favourite seasonal vegetables; from sprouts to red cabbage or carrots and parsnips, mix and match your favourite veggies to create your very own festive flavour combinations.Ingredients:
- 700g assorted vegetables, diced
- Water (to MAX mark)
- 2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes
- Salt and ground black pepper
Pea, Ham & Mint Soup
- Fill the Soup and Smoothie Maker past the MIN mark with your selection of diced vegetables.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock cubes and fill to the MAX mark with water.
- Select the smooth setting. Once the soup is ready, season to taste and serve. Try serving with toasted rosemary croutons for an even tastier treat.
This quick and easy recipe from the Cook & Create App makes a tasty, hearty soup that’s perfect for this time of year. This is also a great way to use ham hock leftovers!Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g peas
- Fresh mint 20g
- 225g ham, roughly chopped or shredded
- 100g potato, peeled and diced
- 1 ham stock cube
- 800ml boiling water
- 75ml crème fraiche
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Make the ham stock by adding the stock cube to the boiling water. Stir well.
- Place the peas, mint, shredded ham, diced potato and hot stock liquid into the Soup and Smoothie Maker and select the smooth setting.
- When the soup is ready, season to taste and add the olive oil and the crème fraiche to the jug, re-attach the lid and use the ‘Mode’ button to select the ‘Blend’ setting.
- Press and hold the ‘Select On/Off’ button to blend the soup for 20 seconds before serving. Easy!
Roasted Parsnip and Bacon Soup
What could be better than a tasty parsnip soup on a cold winter’s day? Parsnip and bacon soup! Topped with crispy bacon, this indulgent soup is a tasty twist on a Christmas classic.
- 5 – 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 large shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 700ml vegetable stock
- 6 bay leaves
- 470ml water
- 60ml white wine
- 1 – 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Roast the parsnips at 200 degrees C for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown, turning them once during cooking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Meanwhile, in a large pan cook the bacon strips until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and set aside, reserving 2tbsp of bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the butter and shallots and sauté until the shallots are golden brown. Reserve 2tbsp of the cooked shallots to use as a garnish.
- Cut the bacon into thin strips then add some of the bacon to the shallot garnish mix.
- Add the cooked parsnips into the pan with the leftover bacon fat. Add the bacon, stock and bay leaves and leave to simmer for 20mins.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaves then blend using the Total Control Hand Blender at speed 4, adding the wine and water as required until the soup has reached the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper then serve topped with the shallots and bacon mixture. Delicious!
If you’re inspired to get cooking, there are a variety of inspirational recipes available on our Cook & Create App. You can download it from iTunes or Google Play. For more food inspiration keep an eye on our Facebook page for Christmas day cooking tips from My Virgin Kitchen’s Barry Lewis. He’ll be sharing four ideas on recipes you can make ahead to help the big day go smoothly!