Steamed Vegetable Balti – Intellisteam Recipe
Adding to our growing list of Asian steamer recipes here on Home of the Houseproud, this week we’re bringing you a tasty, healthy Steamed Vegetable Balti.
It’s full of chunky vegetables like Butternut Squash, Carrots and Celery and has a nice little kick for all you spice fans. While steaming isn’t the typical method of cooking curry, it’s much healthier than frying or cooking in a traditional Balti pot. Why not give it a try in your Intellisteam.
500g (1lb 2oz) butternut squash, cut into chunks
1 large carrot, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
½ tsp cumin seeds
100g (4oz) fine green beans, sliced
100g baby corn, halved
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
300g (10oz) basmati rice
2 tsp vegetable stock powder
1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp balti curry paste
2 tbsp tomato puree
250ml (9fl oz) vegetable stock
- Position divider wall in front container. Mix together the butternut squash, carrot and celery. Add the cumin seeds, season with a little salt and black pepper, then tip into one of the front compartments.
- Position the rice tray in the back container. Add the rice and 450ml (3/4 pint) of cold water. Spoon in the stock powder, then add the chickpeas, stirring to mix.
- Mix together the green beans, baby corn and peppers and tip them into the remaining front compartment, levelling them evenly. Position the sauce tray on top and add the curry paste, tomato puree and stock. Stir to mix.
- Set the time for the rice (42 mins). Set the time for the butternut squash mixture using the pre-set for root vegetables (35 mins). For the remaining vegetables and sauce, set the time using the pre-set for sauce (30 mins), then adjust to 10 mins.
- Share the rice and chickpeas between 4 warmed bowls. Tip all the vegetables into a large bowl and add the sauce, tossing to mix. Serve, sprinkled with coriander.