Slow Cooked Christmas Pudding
Did you know that your slow cooker can help you with dessert this Christmas?
A Christmas pudding is a traditional in many households, and they can be prepared both quickly and easily in a slow cooker. Here's our recipe below:
- 225g / 8oz raisins
- 225g / 8oz sultanas
- 225g / 8oz currants
- 225g / 8oz fresh breadcrumbs (whole-wheat or white)
- 50g / 2oz almonds – blanched and finely chopped
- 1 apple
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 small beaten eggs
- 250g / 9oz moist brown sugar
- 225g / 8oz shredded suet
- 50g / 2oz mixed peel
- 50g / 2oz plain flour (whole-wheat or white)
- 1 rounded teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 tablespoons of sherry or brandy
- Grease the bowls and place a circle of greaseproof paper in the bottom of each.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Fill the basins to 1cm below the rim. Do not pack the mixture in too tightly.
- Cover with a piece of greaseproof paper pleated in the middle, then a piece of foil.
- Tuck the foil securely under the rim of the basin and put the basins into the slow cooker.
- Put enough boiling water in the slow cooker to reach half way up the pudding filled basin and set the puddings to cook.
Half way through the cooking time top the slow cooker up with boiling water.
If you like you're Christmas pudding to be light - Cook for approximately 16-23 hours.
If you like you're Christmas pudding to be darker - Cook for approximately 23 hours.