We’re two weeks into the new year and Christmas seems like a very distant memory now! If like us you’re on a strict new year’s health kick, then over the course of the next month or so, we’ll be sharing hints and tips to help you keep those calorie demons at bay.
Here at Morphy Richards we have numerous products that can assist with your healthy eating. Healthy eating isn’t just about choosing the correct food; it’s also about selecting the correct preparation and cooking methods. Arguably our best line of products for cooking healthy food is our range of steamers, in particular, our Intellisteam.
Steaming is one of the healthiest and most nutritious ways of cooking food and you can do far more than just cook vegetables with one. Below, we’ve highlighted a number of benefits of steaming food:
- Food does not come directly in contact with water when using a steamer, this means that nutrients that would otherwise be lost are retained in the food:
- Compared to raw consumption, a food steamer reduces folic acid by 15%, and boiling reduces it by 35% (source)
- Again compared to raw consumption, a food steamer reduces vitamin C by 15%, and boiling reduces it by 25% (source)
- Steaming is a gentle way of cooking food, this results in the food retaining its aromatic composition and cellular structure (this means that it won’t lose its shape or break up)
- Fish is delicious when cooked in a steamer. It keeps all of its flavours and nutrients e.g. Omega-3. Fish doesn’t fall apart during or after the steaming process
- A food steamer can be used to cook a lot more than just vegetables; you can steam chicken, dumplings, and even custard!
- Overcooking or burning food can destroy most of the health benefits. This can be easily avoided through the use of a steamer
Don’t just take our word for it; celebrities who swear by steaming their food include: Claudia Schiffer, Angelina Jolie and Madonna.