New Year, New You
For those who are keen to shed the winter pounds and still enjoy great food, we have pulled together some delicious recipes which will keep you warm, keep you going and most importantly, keep you healthy!
Warm Winter Chickpeas – a great recipe for family meals or simply to make a batch for freezing.
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon curry powder
• 0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large onion
• 2 tomatoes, diced small
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1.5 cups dried chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 0.5 teaspoon salt
• 1 inch parmesan rind
• 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
• 10 pitted green olives
• 1/2 butternut squash, diced into 1 inch cubes
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
• 100g feta cheese, crumbled
1. Set the Morphy Richards Sear and Stew Slow Cooker on high heat.
2. Put the turmeric, smoked paprika, garam masala, ground ginger, curry powder, 1/4 tsp of black pepper into the slow cooker and cook until fragrant (about 15 minutes).
3. Add the olive oil and stir it into the spices. Cook on high heat for 10minutes to infuse the oil with spices.
4. Then add the onions and cook for 1 hour until they are soft and translucent.
5. Add tomatoes, garlic, dried chickpeas, salt, parmesan rind, tamarind paste, green olives, butternut squash and the bay leaf.
6. Give the pot a stir, and cook on high heat for 4 hours, or low heat for 6 hours.
7. Add the lemon juice, remaining 1/4 tsp black pepper black pepper, chopped parsley and feta cheese and stir to mix.
Slow cooked chicken curry – this dish is tasty, dairy free and low in fat, perfect for your New Year diet.
• 750g skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm chunks
• 1 onion, sliced
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 2 tablespoons medium curry powder
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
• 1 large potato, diced
• 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
• 1 fresh chilli, sliced
• 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
• 550ml light coconut milk
• 250ml water
• 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced (optional)
• cooking oil spray
1. Brown the onion and garlic in your Sear and Stew slow cooker on a low heat.
2. Place all the additional ingredients in the slow cooker, mix well and cook on LOW for 9 hours.
3. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice and chutney.
Sesame Ginger Steamed broccoli – this is a great dish to accompany steamed chicken or fish and makes eating more vegetables exciting and flavoursome.
• 1 lb. broccoli, cut into medium florets (6 cups loosely packed)
• 2 tablespoon mirin or sake
• 1 tablespoon tamari
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
• 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• 1 pinch salt
• 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1. Place broccoli, mirin, tamari, ginger, oil, and 1/4 cup water in the Morphy Richards Intellisteam. Cover, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Steam for 4 minutes, or until broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt and sesame seeds.