Home Made Cook of the Year – Twisted Cauliflower Cheese
Several weeks ago we launched our ‘Home Made Cook of the Year’ competition and since then entries have been flooding in. If you are talented in the kitchen and your family and friends love your home made food, we want to hear from you!
Simply send us a recipe for a delicious dish that costs no more than £7.50 to make and can feed a family of four. If your dish impresses the judges, you could be cooking for celebrity chef Brian Turner at the WI’s Denman College and also be walking away with a whole host of goodies, click here for more information.
A big thanks to Debbie who blogs at the ‘Country Heart and Home’ for sending us her recipe for a delicious Twisted Cauliflower Cheese, here’s Debbie’s recipe:
1x Large Cauliflower
8x Rashers of Bacon (optional)
8x Spring Onions
400ml Creme Fraiche
200g Mature Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
1x tbsp Whole Grain Mustard (optional)
Ready Roll Puff Pastry
1x Egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Gently fry the bacon and spring onions in a pan until the bacon is cooked through
- Grate the cheese and add ALL the ingredients to an oven proof dish. Mix thoroughly
- Roll out the puff pastry to the size of the ovenproof dish. Lay over the mix and make two slits in the top to let the air out and to stop the pastry from going soggy. Brush with the beaten egg
- Cook for 45mins to one hour but keep checking that the pastry is not burning and that the cauliflower is cooked all the way through
The total cost of this dish is approximately £7, but could be cut down if the bacon is omitted and home grown vegetable are used.