Home Made Cook of the Year – Savoury Red Bread Pudding
If you haven’t entered our Home Made Cook of the Year competition, there’s still time. If you impress your friends and family with your home made cooking skills, then we want to hear from you.
You could end up cooking for celebrity chef Brian Turner and walk away with a fantastic foodie prize package. Click here to get the full low down on the competition and how to enter.
Below is one of the latest entries to the competition – a fab recipe for Savoury Red Bread Pudding sent in by Maggie Simmons. Have a read and give it a try this week.
6 x thick slices good white bread
4 x med eggs
250 ml whole milk
1/2 x tsp paprika
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 x tbp olive oil
150g cooking chorizo, in chunks
1 x onion, diced
1 x large tomato, in chunks
2 x cloves garlic, minced
squirt of tomato ketchup
59g grated strong Cheddar
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Cube the bread. It is fine to use bread that is past its best.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the cut up chorizo. Make sure you take the skin off as this can be tough.You can also use dried chorizo but this is often too hard. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add onion and garlic and sauté until onion becomes translucent. Set aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the bread cubes, cooled chorizo mix and the tomato, stir and leave it to sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the liquid to absorb into the bread.
- Pour into a lightly oiled, 8×8-inch square baking dish. Cover with grated cheddar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pudding is puffy and browned on top.
- Serve with a crispy green salad or steamed green vegetable.