- Spares & Accessories
- Special Offers & Discounts
- Instruction Booklets
- Redefine by Morphy Richards
- Cooking and Baking
- Floor Care
Last week we launched our ‘Home Made Cook of the Year’ competition on ‘Home of the House Proud’. Along with our partners at the WI, Delia Online and Diabetes UK, we’re looking for the nation’s best homemade cook to walk away with this prestigious tittle and a heap of prizes from Morphy and our prize partners (Stoves, Roberts Radio and the WI’s Denman College).
From all of the entries that we receive, we’ll be whittling them down to three and our three shortlisted entrants will be invited to cook their dish for celebrity chef Brian Turner, who will select his favourite dish.
We’re delighted to report that we’ve received our first entry from Karen Booth, who’s submitted a delicious recipe for Slow Cooked Brisket of Beef with a Medley of Root Vegetables. In keeping with the rules, the dish cost less than £7.50 (£7.28) and feeds a family of four.
1.5kg/3lb 5oz beef brisket joint
1x Teaspoon English mustard powder
4x Onions, peeled and sliced into thick rings
6x Carrots, peeled and cut into thick discs
1x Small swede, peeled and diced into cubes
2x Large parsnips, peeled and cut into large discs
1/2 Turnip, peeled and diced into cubes
150ml (1/4 pint) wine or ale, or water mixed with half a stock cube
1x Teaspoon anchovy essence/sauce
1x Tablespoon mushroom ketchup
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Season the beef brisket generously with salt, black pepper and the mustard powder, rubbing it in well and all over the joint
- Place all of the root vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker
- Place the seasoned brisket of beef on top of the root vegetables; add the anchovy essence/sauce and mushroom ketchup to the wine/ ale or stock and pour it over the vegetables, being careful not to pour it over the seasoned beef brisket
- Turn the slow cooker on to the “low” setting and cook for between 8 and 11 hours
- Serve piping hot with the gravy juices and steamed greens and/or potatoes on the side
My meal cost me £7.28. I took advantage of a special offer on Brisket at Morrisons and also cooked this in my Morphy Richards Slow Cooker. My vegetables were home-grown and some were swapped with local allotment friends.