Home Made Cook of the Year finalists: Yvonne Bailey
Following our hugely successful Home Made Cook of the Year competition, we thought it would be nice to profile each of the finalists on the blog. Here’s Yvonne Bailey’s story…
Yvonne’s recipe for Pork with Orange and Ginger impressed our panel of judges, beating off hundreds of entries to reach the final of the competition, held at the WI’s Denman College.
A tasty combination of boneless shoulder chops and a sweet orange sauce, Yvonne perfected the recipe over 30 years ago when she was in her first job as a cook.
She decided the recipe would be a perfect entry to the competition as it combines taste with value for money, using cheaper cuts of meat while mainstaining a delicious flavour.
If you’re interested in trying out Yvonne’s recipe, you can check it out below.
Yvonne Bailey – Pork with Orange and Ginger
- 4 Pork Boneless Shoulder Chops
- 1/2 ounce of butter
- 3 tbspns of white wine vinegar
- 2 oz soft brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 small orange
- 1/4 pint of orange juice
- 2 tbspns cornflower
- Fry chops in butter until browned on each side
- Put in oven proof dish
- Mix sugar, vinegar, ginger and some salt and pepper and pour over the chops
- Slice the orange thinly into 4 slices and place a slice onto each chop
- Squeeze over any extra juice from the ends of the oranges and the remaining orange juice
- Cover with either a lid or foil and bake in an oven at 180 degrees for approximately 30-40 mins.
- Remove from the oven and pour off the juice, returning the chops to the oven to brown a bit more and thicken the liquid with the cornflower mixed with a little water.
- Stir until thickened and pour over the chops
- Serve with new potatoes and vegetables